One Piece: Great Pirate Colosseum (jap. Wan Pīsu: Dai Kaizoku Koroshiamu) is a 2D fighting game for the Nintendo 3DS. While Arc System Works was responsible for its development, it was released by Bandai Namco Entertainment on September 21, 2016. A special feature is the game’s online mode, as it allows cross-platform play with Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden, which was released internationally, while One Piece: Great Pirate Colosseum was only released in Japan. Characters and locations from the movie One Piece – Gold, released the same year, are also part of the game.
In One Piece: Great Pirate Colosseum, the player puts together a team of up to three characters and competes in 1vs1 battles. The characters are interchangeable in battle or can only be selected for a special attack or a strengthening of the acting character. While only four characters are unlocked at the beginning, further fighters can be unlocked by the first mentioned lower mode “Recruit your crew”. The characters have several different attacks and also special attacks.
- Recruit your crew: This is the story mode of the game. You travel to different islands and meet familiar characters. In this mode you can unlock new characters, among other things. The adventure takes place in the New World. To unlock all characters and more, the player must play through the mode with different characters. Thereby different routes have to be chosen by decisions. Basically, two characters are to be freely selected for this mode at the beginning.
- VS mode: Here you can start free battles with the already unlocked characters against NPCs. In addition to your own team composition, that of the NPCs can also be selected. Victories are rewarded with points.
- Training: In training mode, the opponent does not fight back and their health meter fully refills after each attack.
- Local Play: This mode lets you compete against friends who are nearby with their Nintendo 3DS.
- Grand Online: The online mode of One Piece: Great Pirate Colosseum. Here you can compete against friends and other people online.
In both Local Play and Grand Online modes, the aforementioned cross-platform play is possible with Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden.
In One Piece: Great Pirate Colosseum, players have 23 playable characters at their disposal, while over 90 more characters are available to use as support characters. However, some were only unlockable as pre-order bonuses or otherwise.
- Monkey D. Luffy
- Roronoa Zoro
- Sanji Vinsmoke
- Tony Tony Tony Chopper
- Nico Robin
- Boa Hancock
- Donquixote Doflamingo
- The Eustass Kid
- Gild TesoroIssho
- Marshall D. Teach
- Port gas D. Ace
- Rob Lucci
- Trafalgar D. Water
- Dress Rosa: Corrida Colosseum
- Fish-Man Island
- On a moving lake train. In the background the Rocketman
- Sabaody Archipelago
- Punk Hazard
- Thriller Bark
- Gran Tesoro
In addition to the above-mentioned known locations, there are four more stages that apparently cannot be assigned to any known location or represent game-exclusive islands. For example, aboard a broken ship or on a coast with treasures.